Welcome to the blog of Doula Angelita!

Bring your brain to be refreshed and inspired!

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Texting 4 Doulas






DOULA ANGELITA
RESURGAM BIRTHINGWELL8899
P.O. BOX 240506
BOSTON MA 02124
DOULA4HIRE@GMAIL.COM
http://doula6angelita.blogspot.com/

BE INFORMED.
BE CONFIDENT.
BE EMPOWERED.
BIRTH INTO MOTHERHOOD WITH
DOULA ANGELITA!

One piece of advice that I give to my fellow doulas who also work with pregnant teenage girls is to use texting to connect with their clients.

Most girls have some kind of mobile device, whether a Sidekick, a Razr or iPhone. Teenagers are notorious for 1) purposefully forgetting important things, and 2) accidentally forgetting things of importance.

When it comes to prenatal vitamins, diet, exercise and checkups, I text my clients. For example, one young miss that I am working with loves McDonald’s, hates vegetables and frequently forgets her prenatal vitamins.

The first thing I did was to find out who her friends were, who her nurse was at school, and then we all sat down together. I explained that this baby was very special, and very important to Patricia*, and that Patricia would need all of our support to be a good mom.

Next, with the permission of her two best friends, we all exchanged cell numbers.
Then, Patrice and I set up a schedule: 6AM alarm to take her prenatal vitamin, along with a V8 juice. Lunchtime, she would eat at least one vegetable, and her McDonald’s would be limited to a kid’s meal. If she “forgot” or really forgot, at least one friend would remind her. The nurse was kept apprised through the use of JOTT.COM’s text-to-email system.

Now, we all know how to get out of doing things we do not want to do, right? Well, to ensure that my young miss was indeed in compliance with her pregnancy regimen, she sent me a photo of her doing the three requirements each day. I organized them into an on-line album, and not only was it a record for me and for her nurse midwife, it was a nice keepsake for Patrice and her friends, who frequently mugged for the camera!

This is just one example of how technology can be a good friend to doulas. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, I would love to hear from you1

Smiles and blessings!

Doula Angelita

No comments:

Post a Comment