Welcome to the blog of Doula Angelita!

Bring your brain to be refreshed and inspired!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A doula is worth a bag of gold...

I recently read an interesting quotation from Ms. Indra Nooyi, chairwoman of PepsiCo, Inc. regarding prenatal care:

"Where I was born in India, pregnant women receive months of pampering from their mothers and other family members. Because my mother received this care during her pregnancy with me, she was there to give me the same treatment when I gave birth to my two children in the United States."

How interesting. Pampering and nurturing the mother, ensuring that she is well-looked after, is an integral part of Asian culture. This watchfulness, as well as good medical care in the form of access to healthcare providers and prenatal vitamins, pays off with the reward of a healthy baby and healthy mother.

Yet, many women are quite resistant to prenatal pampering. They insist on going it alone, working despite tiredness, trying to be a superwoman through morning sickness, pushing themselves when they need to rest. Many will argue that they do not want, have time for, or need any additional help.

My response is this: if you cannot accept and cherish help at this special time of your life, when will you?




Be informed. Be confident. Be empowered.
Birth into motherhood with Doula Angelita

1 comment:

  1. Great but women need to be told that there is a difference between chemical vitamin and real natural ones at this time of their lives.

    ReplyDelete